Leg 1: Beachy Head (start) to Exceat
Club responsible for Leg and changeover:
Hailsham Harriers. They will mark the early stages of Leg 1 with tape/markers and provide marshals at key points. They will also marshal the changeover.
c. 6.25 miles
- From normal start point remain on road towards Birling Gap for c. 200 metres and a lay-by.
- Head up marked footpath from lay-by and follow markers staying well away from cliff edge.
- Continue down to car park at base and up to Belle Tout. Suggest grass route uphill as tarmac road is close to cliff edge and uneven.
- Follow wall around rear of Belle Tout and head slightly left at wall end (c. 11 o'clock), i.e. not straight on.
- Continue down hill to Birling Gap car park where your team will have driven to so that they can check you through.
- At this point it is a straightforward run to Exceat via the Seven Sisters following SDW marked posts.
YOU MUST RECCE THIS LEG PRIOR TO THE RACE. It may be foggy on the day and you could easily ruin the whole day for your team if you get lost on this very challenging leg.
Changeover Point at Exceat - GR 519995
This is a 2-baton changeover.
Nobody is to run across this dangerous road and bend
Parking will be in the car park on the south side of the road or if full (very unlikely) in the large car park at the rear of the Visitor's Centre.
Under no circumstances will teams or marshals park vehicles on the road or anywhere that will obstruct vision in the vicinity of the changeover. There is no excuse not to use the car park c. 50 metres away!
Back to Leg 1